Monday 27 July 2009

Never again

In the past 48 hours I have eaten at McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Last night it caught up with me. The day before yesterday I had a McDonalds for lunch because I was visiting my apartment to hand over deposits and such, then I was in a strange new place and hungover. You can't blame me! I had a 'Big and Beefy' burger which was basically a Quarter Pounder with Cheese but with cucumber in it. How does it compare to back home? Surprisingly good. I've never been a fan of McDonalds burgers, they are completely rubbish. Poor quality meat, not enough meat and they're just not big enough. This burger was of ample size, the meat wasn't good quality but there was enough... plus the cucumber was pretty good! Before I left the UK I had a 'Miami Melt', a limited edition burger that was actually a pretty high standard for fast food. Big 'n' Beefy wasn't as good as that, but it was ok. Definitely worth 15RMB (about £1.40)

That evening I really fancied some dumplings, but that obviously isn't a big enough dinner. So I thought I might as well compare BK to Maccy Ds so I can report back on the blog! Did it all for you guys! One thing about BK is that it SUCKS compared to its UK counterpart. The selection is rubbish, you get no Angus burgers (the 3-pepper Angus is one of mankind's greatest creations), no Bacon Double Cheeses either. Since the Big and Beefy was the biggest burger on McD's menu, I felt I should get the biggest burger on the BK menu to make the test fair. I got the Whopper with Bacon and Cheese. Sounds pretty standard right? I guess it might be. I never have Whoppers back home, I always prefer the Bacon Double Cheese or Angus burgers. It was pretty tasty. Much better than McDonalds, but that was to be expected... because BK shits on McD back home too. I inadvertantly got 8 dumplings instead of the 6 I was going for too, my bowels were starting to get pissed.

Last night I really wanted a Thai curry. I looked up some places in Shanghai and chose one on a road called Fulu Lu. I got completely lost. It sucked, I was walking around for an hour trying to find a Thai place but the problem with Shanghai is that if you're looking for something specific you're NEVER going to find it without help. I should have asked some white people (I was around Plaza 66 aka. New York in Shangers) but I couldn't be arsed. You never know if the white people you meet are staying or visiting, so you could end up asking someone as clueless as yourself. Furthermore I thought I could find something! I'm in the bloody Orient and I can't find a Thai restaurant?! There are more in the UK :(

So I got a KFC. Since I wanted to spend a decent amount on dinner I ended up splashing out on this Mega Bucket thing for 69RMB. The good thing about KFC here is that it still comes in a bucket! When buckets were forsaken in the UK it was a sad day. I got a medley of heart clogging poultry. I got 3x Original chicken, 3x Hot wings, 4x BBQ wings, 3x Fish Finger things, a box of Popcorn Chicken and a 1.5lt bottle of Pepsi. Now BBQ wings and the Fish Finger things are alien to the UK (if I recall correctly), they're pretty good.. give a nice break from all the southern fried flavour. KFC over here has a much better selection regarding plain old eat-with-your-fingers battered animal. Last year I saw this absolutely appalling looking burger in the window. My friend Nick dared me to get it. It looked like a chicken fillet burger, which was cross sectioned... with prawns inside the chicken. Prawns in chicken?! I was intrigued, disgusted and worried that this stage of evolution would disprove natural selection... unless the prawns gave the chicken the ability to breathe underwater I highly doubt it was a 'strongest survive' move by the chicken. Fortunately it wasn't prawns in chicken, but prawns in a seafood patty thing. It was good, but I kinda wanted to sample the freak of nature that lured me inside.

After finishing all but half the Pepsi, 2 of the fish fingers and a hot wing... I went to bed. I was bloated and had killer indigestion. Woke up 3 times during the night because I felt so rubbish. It wasn't pleasant. It's a shame that my last night in Le Tour was so rough! After this experience I am banning myself from fast food. Not sure how long yet, hopefully for my entire stay in China. Once I move into my flat I'm gonna join the gym and make use of all this free time (while I search for work).

See you tomorrow, from my new home

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, serves you right. That was gross to even read.

    Secondly, pics of new apartment pls! Will you have internet there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright mate, just to let you know I've been reading about your exploits as you've been going along. Keep up the good blogging and casual xenophobia.

    ReplyDelete