Thursday 20 August 2009

Am I experiencing 'culture shock'?

I've been in Shanghai for just over a month now, which is the longest time I have been in China or any other country (apart from Sweden, but that's a rather tame escape from the UK). At university I was taught on many occassions about 'culture shock' and how it is the number one cause of expatriate failure rates (when firms send their boys abroad for an extended period). Since I've travelled around so much over the last 3 years I've experienced a number of cultures and I like to think I'm pretty immune to culture shock. Firstly, I'm pretty anti-social.. so not only am I perfectly comfortable moving to a new place with no friends, I'm also not the type of person who needs to visit home all the time to give themselves a top-up. Secondly, since I've met an absolute ton of people from different nationalities (must thank the Erasmus scheme for that) I feel like I'm pretty quick to empathize with various people and learn what makes them tick.

Wikipedia has this to say about the phases of culture shock:

Honeymoon Phase - During this period the differences between the old and new culture are seen in a romantic light, wonderful and new. For example, in moving to a new country, an individual might love the new foods, the pace of the life, the people's habits, the buildings and so on.
Negotiation Phase - After some time (usually weeks), differences between the old and new culture become apparent and may create anxiety. One may long for food the way it is prepared in one's native country, may find the pace of life too fast or slow, may find the people's habits annoying, disgusting, and irritating etc. This phase is often marked by mood swings caused by minor issues or without apparent reason. Depression is not uncommon.
Adjustment Phase - Again, after some time (usually 6 – 12 months), one grows accustomed to the new culture and develops routines. One knows what to expect in most situations and the host country no longer feels all that new. One becomes concerned with basic living again, and things become more "normal".

Technically I'm in the 'Negotiation Phase' at the moment. I've been here for 5 weeks and the glitz and glamour has degenerated. To be honest, I've not experienced the 'Honeymoon Phase' this time because I've been to China twice before. Maybe I'm 5 weeks into this 'Negotiation Phase'. But there are key differences between how I feel and how this phase is defined.

I don't feel anxiety. Not at all. I'm not worried about anything. One thing that does hold some truth is that bit about people's habits. But is that really culture shock?

Today I was waiting to cross the road, as was a guy on the other side. Suddenly a guy on a moped drives INTO the person waiting to cross. Not at full speed of course, but like how you'd tap someone if you need to get past in a club... but imagine this time you were tapping someone with a motorized vehicle. It was appalling, absolutely no consideration or manners.

Now, because I find this disgusting behaviour does that mean I have culture shock? My disgust is not from misunderstanding their culture, it's not because it causes me anxiety. No, I am disgusted because in my personal opinion it's downright appalling behaviour and not something that ANY human being should conduct. In England, if someone pushes in front of you in a queue you will feel disgusted right? Maybe you wouldn't use such a strong word but it would cause you to be a little bit pissed off. That isn't 'culture shock'... so just because I'm in China it doesn't mean that disliking the habits of certain people is a symptom of culture shock.

Habits of the Chinese are probably going to be a large part of the content on this blog, mainly because there are a lot of differences between here and the UK. Some of it will be culture shock, some of it may be as explained about. Maybe I should name this kind of shock....

Ok, next-time on 'Asshole Shock' I can fill you in on the Shanghai Succubus

No comments:

Post a Comment